Friday, April 22, 2011

The Three Rs

Happy Earth Day!
There she is, Mother Earth. It's crazy when you really think about it, that we live on this round, floating ball of water and land. We just exist in the middle of the universe. No big whoop. Right?

WRONG.

It is a big deal. And most things having to do with the earth is out of our control. We can't change the weather (I wish!), or the way the seasons change, or the color of the sky or flowers, etc. But one thing that we can control is how much we waste of what we consume. I am a major believer in recycling, just cause it makes so much sense. And it's really easy to do. You just put the container in one trash can instead of the other! That's it! I remember when the city of Las Vegas instituted a recycling program and distributed three color-coded containers for people to use. And my family participated in that program for awhile. I remember the red, blue, and white baskets we'd put out with the trash- one for paper, one for plastic, and one for aluminum and glass. I thought it was great! Well, my family stopped recycling a LONG TIME AGO, and I have given my parents a hard time about it in the recent past. I've tried several times to convince them that they should start to recycle again, but they just don't do it! I think it was when I lived in Salt Lake City that I began notice recycling again, because they had designated trash cans which made it easy, especially since everything went into one trash can! You didn't even have to separate paper from plastic or anything! They just didn't let you put glass in there, 'cause when they dumped it in the trucks, it would probably shatter everywhere.

When I moved to New York City, recycling got even better! This city is all about recycling, because, well...there are tons and tons of people who consume tons and tons of things every day. And this city is often looked at by others, so, the city took it a step further and will fine you if they catch you not recycling! Amazing. I know, I'm a nerd. But really, I do love when I notice a product I bought was made with recycled goods. I bought a tote bag made of recycled plastic bottles, for goodness sake! That is great. So yeah, I'm into recycling. I'm a believer.

No comments:

Post a Comment