Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Stay in All Day Day

I didn't exactly where green today. I stayed home and relaxed, then did some homework, then babysat tonight. Yes, there was parade festivities I missed out on and parties elsewhere, but that's okay. I saw the parade here in New York last year when my mom and sister were here visiting. I also saw it when I was visited NYC for my first time ever in 2001. The parade here is the longest running St. Patty's parade in history! It first began in 1762. That's before the Declaration of Independence was even signed! Crazy.

And I don't mean to be sacrilegious with the title of this post. I think any holiday that celebrates the arrival of Christianity to any country is worth a day of recognition. Most of what I see happen on March 17th (or March 12th if you're in Philadelphia) is people wearing green and getting drunk and not thinking of any saint at all.
Pardon the foul language above, but I think I've made my point.

No comments:

Post a Comment