Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Great Companion, Gone

I don't remember when exactly it occurred, but maybe about 5 years ago my grandpa remarried after my grandma died. I remember him struggling with the decision. He did not want to feel like he was replacing or forgetting my sweet grandma. He was so devoted. But after much thought, consideration, and prayer he decided to marry Dorothy. She had also lost her spouse and both were a good fit for companionship. Well, Dorothy passed away this morning. This news came to me sort of suddenly, so I'm still digesting it all. I made sure to
visit them earlier this month when I was home, and I'm so grateful I did. Dorothy brought a different personality and background to the family. I always got a kick out of talking with her. She was a psych nurse for 20 years or something like that. I always felt like she and I could relate regarding further education.

What's crazy is my grandpa has been worried that if he should go before she did, who would care for her? They also had recently got a new dog named Rudy to replace the last one that passed. Well, Rudy ran into the street the other day, got hit by a car and died. It's like the stars are aligning so my grandpa has no worries to leave behind. He's my last living grandparent and I don't want to see him go. But I know his time is coming soon, and what's waiting for him on the other side is to be desired. I'm so fortunate and grateful that all my grandparents were always such a part of my life.

I dedicate this post to Dorothy and Rudy:


Both of whom were wonderful companions to my grandpa, especially the former. You will be missed, Dorothy.

3 comments: