Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Don't Quit Your Day Job!

Oh wait, I don't have a day job. Well, not in the technical sense, like a 9 to 5-er. But I do take care of children a lot lately, and that's during the day. But today is an overnighter. I was asked last minute to come tend to four children overnight till the next night, and for a decent amount of cash money. This isn't a bad gig, considering the family lives in the nicest, biggest apartment in Manhattan I've been in so far. It's a mansion compared to my shoebox apartment! Their living room/kitchen area alone is more square footage than my two bedroom/one bath apartment. It actually feels like a "home" here. I'm sure the four kids with their toys, video games and snacks have something to do with that, too. I fed them dinner and got each one to bed in chronological order, starting with the two youngest first, then the next oldest, and the very oldest got to stay up latest. As I put the clean sheets on the bed I'll be sleeping on and cleaned up the kitchen and living room, I had this, "so this is what it's like" moment. And I must admit, I liked it. But since this is only pretend, I'm sure I'll change my tune when I actually AM a mother (though probably not of four) and am caring for never-ending needful creatures called children. So, tomorrow night I'll return to my childless cube of an apartment and savor solo time while I have it. I'm just glad this babysitting stuff is workin' out for me this summer. I've missed being around children.

And since I'm a fan of photos and side notes in posts:


I walked by this yesterday. The World Trade Center being rebuilt. I've been spending a lot of time in that area lately, walking through the narrow, grid system streets, and I can't help but think of 9/11. That whole area, covered in...well, lots of stuff. Kinda morbid, I know. It gives me a reality check, of sorts, and that's not a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment