Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Rainy Days and Reading

It's raining again in New York and I have to do laundry again. Go figure. Last time I did laundry it was raining. It's no biggie if you have a car to get into to drive your laundry to the laundry mat, or better yet, you don't have to go anywhere because you have a washer and dryer at home. But alas, these are not luxuries I enjoy at this time in my life. Carrying a load of laundry while trying to balance an umbrella and detergent is no easy task. I even took my push cart last time, and it was still difficult. Instead, I feel like staying in doors and curling up to a book. Yep, I said it. I am going to READ. I just read a friend's blog post about wanting to read a lot this summer, though she admitted to being not the greatest reader. I can relate. I have never been a big reader, and I take a really long time to get through a book. I also feel like I get bored quickly. Typically, if the book doesn't grab me within the first few pages, I have a hard time committing to it. Ha. It's like my relationships, only I'm the book, not the reader. If someone would just keep reading, for crying out loud...
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FvV6dBsXk7E/S5JYrubnXoI/AAAAAAAABc0/1N8LO4hYFeg/s400/Exhausted.jpg
This is a good depiction of how I feel about that above statement.

And that leads me to my renewed effort to READ often. I gotta give books a decent shot, right?! I can't be a hypocrite. I was talking to someone about this the other day, how I've never loved to read, but wish I did. And then I thought, well, have I ever really tried it long enough? I blamed the lack of desire on the fact that I've been forced to read things (in school) my entire life. But leisure reading is something entirely different. I love books themselves, especially used ones. I used to buy them from second-hand stores all the time, with the intent to read them. I usually would pick them up, begin to read them, and then get distracted with something else. I had an entire, tall bookcase full of 'em! I got rid of most of them when I moved to NYC.

A year or so back, I picked up some books and lost myself in them, and it was a good thing. Reading is a form of escape, no? It's an approved form of escape, even. So, I'm doin' it. I have my entire summer off, lots of free time on my hands, and I'm going to make a point to read, dangit! And this is where I'm going to start:
http://kalafudra.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/thedivingbellandthebutterfly.jpg
It was on my roommate's shelf. Only a hundred and something pages. Startin' out small. Don't judge me.

No comments:

Post a Comment