Thursday, May 20, 2010

Patience Unto Perfection

I've been trying a new form of scripture study lately where I choose a topic that is applicable to the current moment in my life, find a scripture or two or three on that topic, and then write my thoughts about it pertaining to my life. About a month ago or so I chose "patience". Of course, this topic can be studied every day for the rest of my life and will never get old (I just may make it a monthly ritual, at least). During my study, I found a beautiful scripture that I think gets overlooked way too often. In the church, we often hear James 1:5 repeated because of its significance in Mormon church history, but the one before it is pure and profound poetry.

"But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing."
I just may make this scripture my mantra. Consider it done.
I finished reading my first book of the summer (and I don't think it's even officially summer, yet)! Again, I started out small, but it was powerful. If I haven't said this yet, something else that has been on my mind lately is that I have no room to complain about my life (though I do all too often). I have a fantastic life. There are billions of people in the world who have far more challenging and trying times to concur. "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" just confirmed that thought. It's the author's thoughts and experiences after he has a stroke, goes into a coma, and comes out totally paralyzed with "locked-in syndrome". He wrote the entire thing by blinking his eye and having an interpreter figure out, using a special alphabet chart, what he wanted to say. He died two months after it was published. Now, that kind of story brings life into perspective.

1 comment:

  1. that book sounds interesting. I'll add to my summer reading list.
    Love the scripture.
    Love your face.

    ReplyDelete