Friday, January 28, 2011

Winter Wonderland

Wednesday night was a crazy blizzard of sorts, as you can see below
(out my window)

The result was the best snow day ever! I took my sweet time getting out of bed and showering. Then around 3 pm, a few friends (Rebecca D. and Armineh-roommate) and I headed to Chelsea Market, an indoor shopping/restaurant mall with an Anthropologie and fun places to eat. Below is what we saw along the way.
We each found a few bargains at Anthro, then had a bite to eat, and we topped it off with stumbling upon a sample sale of Free People clothing! Free People clothing is more expensive than Anthropologie but looks like it costs less. And again, we each scored some awesome, inexpensive items! We felt quite successful.

Next, we parted ways with Rebecca, and then Armineh and I went to see the movie "The King's Speech". It was so good! I tell you what, the rating system is so out of whack. One movie that's uplifting and wholesome, except for a few cuss words (in a scene with speech therapist session) and another movie with full frontal nudity, multiple explicit sex scenes, drug use and abuse (aka the kinds of movies I avoid like the plague) can have the same movie rating. Anyone else see something wrong with this picture? I do. For the most part, I go by ratings. If a movie comes out that looks like a good one to me and I see the rating is "R", I won't see it. But every now and then, a movie comes along that is phenomenal and wrongly rated, thanks to the messed up rating system. If there's a movie I think I really want to see, I visit the website IMDB.com and look under the 'parental guide' section to see what the deal is, and then make my judgment. It doesn't take long for me to figure out if it's a-go. Not tryin' to justify, here. Just stating fact.

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box. After the movie (and we even bought popcorn and candy, that's how good of a snow day it was), we had to top the whole day off with a visit to Magnolia's for treat. I'm surprised I was able to fall asleep last night with all that sugar running through my system! But I slept like a baby after such an excellent day. Best. Snow. Day. Ever.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about the MPAA, Lizzy-Beth. I, too, check out the content of rated-R movies when I'm decided whether I will watch them edited or not.

    I'm not saying I condone the use of profanity, but it's a strange world where a brief moment of strong language will get you an R rating, whereas constant, pervasive, crude sexual humor can still get a PG-13. Way to go, Hollywood!

    Glad you had a nice snow day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had a nice snow day as well. just went to a few museums and had some awesome veggie food. i still need to watch that movie.

    ReplyDelete