Tuesday, January 11, 2011

1-11-11

What a fun date it is today! This won't ever happen again, in the history of mankind.

A snow storm is supposed to hit tonight, and it's supposed to be a doozy! People out here are on the ball when it comes to the weather. They plan snow days ahead of time. My internship sent out an email saying not to come in till 10 am tomorrow, like that's gonna actually happen if a foot of snow falls tonight (no one will be going anywhere, except maybe to build a snowman). I also got an email from NYU, since my mini course is scheduled for tomorrow, pre-warning us about the snow storm nearly upon us. I tell you what, with all this hype, if I don't get a snow day tomorrow, as well as everyone else who is already mentally there, I'm gonna be VERY disappointed.

On a different note, there was an article in the NY Times last week that has hit the World Wide Web Mormon population by storm (kinda like the one we're about to get tonight). It was written by a Mormon, single woman in her mid 30s who's a virgin and tired of the Mormon culture and standards. She decided to publicly announce to the world of her conscious choice to get permanent birth control, enabling her to experience "a man's hands" on her before she dies (her words, not mine). She expressed her frustration with the dating scene and everything that comes with it in the Mormon single world, the emphasis the church places on families and how one can feel quite alone (note: if they let themselves) because of this. While I heard her and could empathize with her frustration and desire for companionship and intimacy, I just don't get it. I don't get why she felt she had to speak out about it in a NY Times article, in a city where we're already a minor part of the population and largely misunderstood. Right, I get it. There's a little thing called freedom of speech and also freedom to choose. Well, kudos to her taking advantage and making public her most personal part of her life. I just didn't get a good vibe from her words at all. It spurred me to think about my current Mormon, single, virgin-living self. I'm grateful I have a greater understanding of the bigger picture, unlike this girl. I once said to someone that it just takes will power and a greater purpose to keep it in your pants. Really, it's that simple. I shared this on facebook yesterday in response to the whole article debacle. The reading of this scripture wasn't intentional, actually. I was just actually reading my scriptures (for once) and ended up here:

9For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my aways bhigher than your ways, and my cthoughts than your thoughts.

10For as the arain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bbread to the eater:

11So shall my aword be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

- Isaiah 55:9-11

I've been really upset about a lot of things lately, and I admit, I've aimed some of that anger at God. But I knew all along that was ridiculous. I just need to stop being angry and move forward with faith. I feel bad for the girl who gave up. But hey, if she's happier living a different lifestyle, then what can I say? I guess her standard for happiness is lower than mine.

2 comments:

  1. liz, your words are truly inspired. i love those Isaiah verses!!! i should write them down and put them on my mirror to read them every morning. i also feel sad that she gave up. i hope i never get to that point.

    p.s. and yes, lets get dinner tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was there a super snow storm to the max? snow day? Did it come? Sounds crazy. And you are so wonderful by the way:)And I get what you mean. Giving up is easy, or finding an excuse for one anyway. But the super happy smiley ear to ear holding hands part is worth the wait otherwise you dont know what your missin and could get a nasty infection otherwise by givin in, tmi? nah.

    ReplyDelete