Sunday, August 30, 2009

Small in Number, Great in Spirit

I attended church today where I am zoned, and really enjoyed it. It's called the Bushwick Branch and is held in a non-traditional church building, but they've converted the portion that the church rents into what every other Mormon church looks like inside. The plaques next to the doors labeling what room is what, the pulpit and the cushioned chairs that interlock with each other (that was the main difference, no standard church benches), etc. And of course, the doctrine and teachings were the same. Duh. I think the fact that you can go literally ANYWHERE in the world and find the EXACT same teachings and doctrine and lessons and books, etc. is so amazing and wonderful. And more than anything else, if someone wants proof that this church is true, enough said. Talk about being unified! I don't know of any other religion, church, belief system, that can claim the same. I've been to my church in California, Costa Rica, New York, Spain and more. What did I get at each one? The same lessons, the same warm welcome, the same spirit, testifying to me that this gospel of Jesus Christ, in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is true. And the greatest part is everyone can experience that for themselves. A person MUST find out for himself. No one can force him to believe or to know.

The missionaries had two investigators at church today, a 19-year old girl and her 13-year old brother. I went to the Gospel Principles class with them, and the lesson was on agency and the purpose for it. It was a great class and the investigators joined in on discussion. It reminded me of being a missionary, and I know those two elders from Utah were beaming. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment