Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Here I Am

So, I have arrived and it feels good. This move to New York had been a long time coming, so to finally be here now just makes sense. I almost made this move a year ago, but it didn't happen. I guess it was meant to happen, but with greater purpose behind the move. Grad school at NYU is that purpose, and I am very excited to get going in the Social Work program. I still have three weeks until school begins, which is nice, because I can focus on getting settled and accustomed to my new surroundings, first.

I live in Brooklyn with an old friend I've known since high school. She's the kind of friend who, even if you don't communicate for years, acts like no time has passed. We just kind of pick up where we left off and are just as comfortable being friends as we were before. It's awesome. And her boyfriend is awesome, too. Such a nice guy, gentleman-like and kind. He carried both my duffel bags from the airport home.

When we approached our building last night, there were people out on the sidewalk, playing music and dancing. The fire hydrant was spraying water into the street, and people were playing in it. It was an awesome first sight to behold. This place is alive with culture and diversity and I know I'm going to love it. I've got my own room in the back of the apartment, tucked away. I love it. It's nice and quiet. And I didn't have to worry about furniture at all. It came with a queen-size bed, nightstand, lamp, desk and comfy lounge chair with a footrest. I couldn't have asked for anything better. I've got two windows that look out to behind the building. There's a patio/backyard area that is for the residents and trees keep it shaded. We're on the second level, so when I look out my window, it looks like I'm in a treehouse!

1 comment:

  1. I will definitely be reading this blog! I am so excited for you! It sounds like everything is going great! I am so happy! Email me or call me or whatever you feel like whenever you feel like it! Miss you sis!

    ReplyDelete