Thursday, January 28, 2010

Long Live Holden Caulfield

On my ride home from my internship tonight a guy got on the subway with this book in his hand
http://theasylum.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/franny.jpg
It immediately caught my eye, because I own the same kind of copy, and I loved J.D. Salinger books in high school. There aren't many, but they are quality. I remembered reading The Catcher and the Rye and loved how raw and real the main character, Holden Caulfield, was. It's been a long, long while since I read any of the books. And just now, I was checking my email and had an email from the New York Times alert message service. J.D. Salinger passed away today, at age 91. It said the man lived in isolation for 50 years....didn't want the fame he received, I suppose. I wonder if the guy on the subway knew and was reading that book as a homage to the author on the day of his death. Or maybe it was coincidence. Either way, it was a nice little New York moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment