Wednesday, November 3, 2010

How to Get Sick, But Also Show Gratitude (not for the sickness, though)

This just does not happen. I'm coming down with a cold, AGAIN! I was sick just a month ago, and it lasted for two weeks! I RARELY get sick, at least, I used to rarely get sick. But now I'm on a roll. It's really no mystery, though, as to why this is happening. There is a rhyme and reason to it, indeed. The recipe for disaster is as follows:

1. Not enough sleep

(Though I average nearly 7 hours a night, it is not enough for this aging body.)

2. Not enough food

(Going grocery shopping was an okay activity for me when I had a car. Now? It's just a nuisance. Also, I don't want to cook and I don't want to eat frozen pizzas or other frozen things for dinner. And I don't want to spend the money to eat out, plus, doing it alone all the time is no fun. DON'T WORRY (mom), I DO EAT. I just don't prepare well enough in advance. I find it more of a hassle than an enjoyment. I think I may have come up with a new eating disorder.)

3. Stress

(While the second year of grad school seems less stressful, it's still there. I live for the day when I do not have articles I'm required to read that I actually never get to because I don't have time. Or papers to write for a grade. May 18th cannot get here too quickly. But then comes stress of a job. I know, it never ends.)

These three factors are what always lead to me getting sick. Now, you think since I know this I would be more mindful. Hmm. Ya think? Maybe since I've put it in writing....no, that hasn't worked before. I was supposed to start posting something positive that I like about NYC every Sunday. Well, I obviously haven't been doing that, however, I have been keeping a "Gratitude Journal". It's actually something my health counselor suggested, which was awfully "Mormon" of her to do. I wanted to ask her if she had watched General Conference and I just didn't know it.

Here's a sneak-peek at a few days. I've been writing three things each day:

October 18 (in no particular order)
1. A room with a view
2. Lifelong friends
3. Physical ability

October 24
1. Self-realizations in church
2. People trusting me
3. Time alone

October 25
1. Holding a newborn baby!
2. Kind people
3. Adorable dogs

October 31
1. Church friends
2. Close friends
3. BFFs

I'm one step closer to maybe, actually writing regularly in a journal again some day. I used to be really good at that.

1 comment: