Wednesday, October 27, 2010

It's All About the Hair

Today was the first time in years and years since I went to a salon to have my hair cut and styled by someone other than one of my three sisters who are hairstylists or by friends who are hairstylists. In fact, I'm not even sure I have EVER gone to a salon to have my hair cut by a stranger. Wow. That's just plain crazy talk, but it's true crazy talk. And what better place for me to go for my first time than Arrojo Studio! The owner of this studio is the one and only Nick Arrojowho is famous from his appearance as the hair stylist on the makeover show What Not To Wear.I love that show and I've loved watching Nick cut people's hair and make them look better. I googled his name one day to see if he had a salon here, because, hey, it's New York! If he has a salon anywhere, it would be here, right? Sure enough, I was right. The website listed stylists and their prices, and there he was, right at the top of the list (of course)! My jaw dropped at the sight of the cost for a haircut by the man himself: $500. FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!!!! For a HAIRCUT!!!! I about died. I mean, I was expecting it to be a pretty penny, but not that pretty!! So, there went my idea to actually have him cut my hair, even though I pretended to consider it. There is just no way I could go through with that and live with myself. Weeks and months went by and a friend of mine posted on her facebook status about going to the Arrojo studio to get her hair cut! I couldn't believe it! So, I asked her about it. She did not have Nick cut her hair either, but she found out that for first timers, if you bring a friend, you get half off the cost. I was sold, right then and there. My only problem would be to find someone willing to go with me. I thought this was a hopeless cause, because who would just happen to need a hair cut and just happen to be willing to go to this particular salon to get it done. Well, I'll tell you who!! One of my new roommates, that's who. I was so happy when she said she'd join me in this adventure. So, I called, booked an appointment, and today we went. We saw the same hairstylist and her name is Carmel. She's Irish and so cool and nice. She kept complimenting me on my hair and how great she thinks it is. It was great! Ha. Anyway, of course, I didn't have her do anything drastic, but I was in great need of a hair cut. My hair was almost all one length and just boxy. The end result...!It doesn't look much different than usual, I know, but that's what happens when you have naturally curly hair. And it only cost $50! I did buy some much needed styling product, which brought my bill up, but it will go to a good cause...making my hair look amazing! Some day, some man is gonna fall in love with me and my curls. We gotta look gooood. ;)

p.s. The whole time I was at the hair studio, I was hoping to see Nick Arrojo walk by so I could see him in person! There was no sign of him, though I knew he was there, because the girl who washed my hair told me he was. And then, at the very last minute, I was sitting getting a free quick makeover and I saw him walk by! It was brief, but I saw him! I wanted to ask to meet him, but I didn't want to be one of THOSE people. A glance was enough. ha.

4 comments:

  1. Liz, i love this. I get my hair done there, too, but by Katie. She's a genius, and only around $50. I swear by the Arrojo Curl Cream...it has changed my life! You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a good rendition of curly hair club.

    Tell me how the products work.

    R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair looks the best I think I have ever seen it. Nick is too cool for school. I am glad you got to get a good cut you look amazing!

    ReplyDelete