Thursday, July 15, 2010

Free Stuff Always Tastes Good

Tonight I got to experience my first free concert in NYC! They happen all over the place in the summer here, and the New York Philharmonic Orchestra plays every year in Central Park. A few girls I know sent a Facebook invite out and the turn-out was a good size group--about 20 people or so, I'd guesstimate. As I mentioned in the last post, it's been raining a lot here lately, and today was no exception. We brought various forms of plastic to put down on the ground to keep our blankets from getting wet. Someone brought an extra shower curtain they happened to have lying around her apartment, I brought two large garbage bags and a few park/concert pads to sit on, and my friend Karene brought this huge plastic sheet thing she bought at Home Depot for $2! That turned out to be the life saver, as we had plenty of seats for everyone. The rain stopped long enough for the concert to happen, which included fireworks at the end of the performance! Everyone kinda chatted and socialized the whole time, because, ya know, we were in picnic-like form, and it was like the orchestra was providing background music. We were too far away from the stage to actually see the performance, but hearing was the important part, anyway. I forgot my camera, but I borrowed this image from elsewhere, and it is pretty much exactly what it looked like from where we were sitting:The NY Phil. sounded sooooo good. I learned from the program handed out that it's the oldest orchestra in the United States. Not surprising. And I think it said there are 108 members. For the last part of the performance they played some of the music from Romeo and Juliet, so I actually recognized some songs! That was cool. Yes, I like classical music and such, but I only recognize the popular stuff. Don't judge me. Needless to say, it was a lovely evening spent with lovely people in a lovely park with lovely music.

No comments:

Post a Comment