Friday, September 11, 2009

One Week Down, Thirteen To Go!

Wow, when I say it like that, one semester doesn't seem long at all. The first week of graduate school is over! I like all of my professors, and I think I will enjoy each of their classes very much. They each have a bit of laidback-ness about them, which is nice. There's tons of reading to do throughout the semester, and they know it, but they aren't crazy/mean about it. I mean, we're grad students, so I think they just expect that we'll be responsible. No need to be a bully, right? Right.

The Social Work building is adorable and inviting. It's a fairly small building, and it's old, so it's got a lot of character. There is a fireplace in the lobby and in the parlor (yes, it's a parlor). The classroom has one too. I don't know if any of them are usable (we shall see, come winter). All my classes are in the same room, so that's kinda nice. I'll be nice and comfortable there, since it will be my second home for the next four months. The NYU library is directly across the street, or park, rather.
The red building you see behind the arch is the Social Work building. It's super nice to have a park in the center of campus. It makes the walks between my building and the library quite enjoyable.

The NYU library is becoming my third home. I ran into two classmates there, at different times, today! It's nice to see familiar people in my same program. I've collected a handful of phone numbers from classmates in order to contact them when I'm panicking, or when I can't find a certain article at the library that we have to read, etc. We can also cry on each other's shoulders about our internship experiences, and how unqualified we feel. Speaking of my internship, I still don't know where or what I will be doing, and we start in one week! Eeek! Talk about the suspense killing me! I'm remaining calm, though.

Tonight I went to a tri-state church event titled, "Remembering 9/11". We met at the church/temple building and listened to a few different accounts/experiences had by people who lived here at that time. Also, the former stake president spoke about his experience then. I'm glad I went to listen and remember what that day was like for me, and what it did to the country. I lived on the opposite side of here, but I still, as I'm sure everyone could attest to, saw the affects it had on people, felt the fear, the unsurety, the shock. I remember the country being unified like I had never seen before. It was an instant common bond we all shared. We were all affected.

I saw the Twin Towers in person once. It was in that same year, in February 2001. It was my first time ever to New York City. I remember being in downtown Manhattan, checking out Wall Street, etc. I wasn't even seeking them out, but really, how could you miss them! I remember looking up at them and they were huge! I have an awesome photo of me and my friend Chrissy with the NYC skyline behind us. If I had my scanner, it'd be up on this post. But instead, I found this: I wanted to go down to that area today to visit, but didn't get a chance. Perhaps I'll wander over there tomorrow. I love living in New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment